Despite the gloomy weather today I made the most of my day off with a little shopping trip to Dunfermline in the morning before coming home to stick my pjs on and bake some delicious ‘Jammie Dodger’ biscuits. I was delighted to spot a black & white polka dot dress with shoulder bow detail and a copy of The Best of Mrs Beeton’s Cakes and Baking, both from the British Heart Foundation (57-59 High St, Dunfermline). There’s nothing more I love than buying cute little dresses and old baking books; so this was definitely a good thrifting day!
I’m constantly looking online for mini biscuit and cake recipes to add to my afternoon tea repertoire. I found a simple recipe from BBC Recipes to make shortbread and used it to make mini double biscuits filled with jam aka homemade Jammie Dodgers – fab little treats from my childhood!
Ingredients – 125g butter, 55g caster sugar, plus extra to finish, 180g plain flour, strawberry jam and icing sugar.
1. Heat the oven to 190C.
2. Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
3. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a floured work surface and gently roll out the dough.
4. Cut the dough into rounds (I used a mini scone cutter for this but it really depends on your preference how big you’d like them).
5. Place half the rounds onto a baking tray. Using a mini cookie cutter cut your chosen shape into the centre of your remaining shortbread rounds. These will form the top of your jammie dodgers. Make sure you have the same number of tops to bottoms!
6. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
8.’Glue’ together the tops and bottoms of your biscuits using a dollop of strawberry jam.
9. Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!
The recipe is so versatile, you could easily add lemon juice, grated orange peel, vanilla or a touch of cinnamon at Christmas time to the dough. You could also experiment with different fillings, next time I’ll hopefully have made my own strawberry jam and not have to cheat with a store bought jar! These cute treats are the perfect addition to a lovely cuppa or gift wrapped to make little favours.