|Alfie and his big cheesy grin.|
I’ve been on a bit of a debbie-downer recently. I’m not sure why but I’ve been so pessimistic and negative over the past few days. Do you ever feel like that? I’ve even started to get the dreaded ‘blogger envy’ i.e. “My photos are so crap compared to hers”, “She’s achieved so much more than me”, “My stats are rubbish compared to hers”… woah! I need to stop acting like this and as the lovey Sarah from sarahtrademark.com reminded me in Sunday’s #bbloggers chat, I need to think about why I started blogging in the first place. Was it so I could have x amount of followers? No. It was because I wanted to have fun, and have a place to write and create, and I’ve achieved this so… yay! I’m all about staying positive and not letting all the little worries get me down, so today I’m sharing with you all the things that cheer me up and make me smile…
1. Cuddling up on the sofa with Alfie. I don’t know about you but I find my pets really therapeutic to be around. Playing with Alfie and even stroking him calms me right down when things are getting a bit too much. Plus, he is hilarious! He makes me giggle even when I’m in the foulest of moods. I could watch him for hours. He has so many little quirks i.e. walking through doorways backwards, going in full on sulks if I don’t rub his belly and insisting on giving the cat slobbery kisses every time he sees her.
3. Watching cheesy 80s films. I just bought a bundle of DVDs from Amazon and even thinking about them makes me smile. You can’t stay miserable watching; Turner & Hooch, Trains, Planes & Automobiles, Overboard, Splash and Mannequin (although it has to be one of the weirdest movies ever made).
4. Quotes, preferably from children’s literature such as:
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” – Dr Seuss
“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely” – Roald Dahl
“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
5. Watching old episodes of Friends. Any episode will do but particularly; The One Where No One’s Ready, The One with the Prom Video and The One with Chandler in a Box.
6. Bubble baths. Not just any bubble bath but a Lush bubble bath. I’m talking candles, face masks, bath bombs, a good book and complete silence for at least an hour.
7. New Pjs and bed sheets. There is nothing on this earth better than the feeling of putting on a new pair of pyjamas and then topping it off by getting into a freshly made bed with new sheets.
8. Harry Potter. Harry Potter anything. Picking up a copy of Harry Potter sends me to a totally different world. I can leave all my worries behind and instantly be transported to Hogwarts. Preferably I do this in a cafe with a posh coffee and a brownie but it’s not essential.
9. Pugs. It is impossible to be miserable whilst watching a pug related Vine, You Tube video or Meme.
10. Going to the cinema with my hubby. Really just saying the word ‘hubby’ makes me smile. It still feels really strange. Ross and I have a Cineworld card so we can practically go to the cinema any time we like. I love getting lost in a movie. My favourite thing to do is go see kids movies like the Minions or Inside Out and get funny looks.
What cheers you up on days you’d rather stay in bed?
What quote, book or song makes you smile?
Please share them below and don’t forget to follow me on bloglovin.